I’ve been working almost exclusively on the multi-user version of tasks for the last two weeks (before I officially start working again next week). During that time I’ve been doing a lot of cleanup and optimization as I’ve been writing new code.
One of the things I did a few nights ago was go through all of the code and find every place I do a database query. Every time a query is called, I add a description of that query with the filename and line number to an array. Then when I’m running in ‘debug’ mode, I can see just how many queries I’m executing and where.
On the focus screen, I found that in some cases I was retrieving the root task three different times (various functions were doing their own queries). Adding in all the code in to track the queries was a pain in the arse, but it’s already paying off.
This post is part of the project: Tasks Pro™. View the project timeline for more context on this post.