I’m working on the UI in Tasks and Tasks Pro to track how long a task took. This is one of the most requested features and one I almost put into Tasks Pro 1.0. I actually did put the back-end code in place, but didn’t add it to the task form.
So now I’m building the way you enter the time and I’m coming up against a number of interesting issues. I’ve decided to use Hours and Minutes as the time segments; Days is a term that is too hazy to be meaningful.
- Do I add up the time spent on sub-tasks and set it for the parent task? I initially thought not, but it might make sense.
- If not, what is the right way to handle time spent for tasks with sub-tasks?
- If I allow you to set a specific amount of time on tasks that have sub-tasks, there is a possibility for that time period to be quite large – is it still meaningful?
- Do I allow you to enter an exact # of hours and minutes in text fields or use drop downs?
- If I use drop downs, what should the minute increments be? 5? 10? 15? I think 10-15 would be about right.
- If I use drop downs, how high should the hours go? This ties back in to the question of how to handle time spent for parent tasks.
- Would you realistically be able to use a ‘Start/Stop’ timer to track how long something took? My experience with this is that it works less than 50% of the time because of various interruptions, etc. but maybe this is something you’d like.
If this is a feature you want, how would you want it to work? What decisions would you make?
I will also be adding a ‘Billable’ flag as well, both of these features will be optional (turn them on in your Preferences).
This post is part of the project: Tasks Pro™. View the project timeline for more context on this post.