As promised, customers who puchased a license on or after October 1, 2004 have received a free upgrade to the new version and can download it immediately. Customers who purchased before October 1, 2004 can purchase an upgrade.
The new features added in 1.5/2.5 are partly from the original planned evolution for the products, but were also shaped by the wonderful feedback I’ve received over the last year. For example, these new features have been among the most frequently requested:
- Recurring Tasks. Set up recurring tasks for all of those ongoing things you have to remember anything from replacing the furnace filter to submitting your weekly status report at work.
- Task Templates. Creating templates for repetitive tasks is a real time-saver. You can even create a template from existing tasks.
- Favorites. Mark a task as a favorite to have quick access to it. Great for quickly getting to tasks that might otherwise be buried a few levels deep in the hierarchy.
- More E-mail Control. Notify any user on your team when creating or updating a task and opt out of daily e-mail reminders that don’t contain any tasks.
- New Themes. Pick the one that suits you, or create your own.
- New Admin Interface. Faster navigation between screens, plus a new screen for managing user permissions (Tasks Pro™ only).
- Inherit Task Groups. Option to inherit task groups from a parent task when creating sub-tasks (Tasks Pro™ only).
- PHP 5 Compatibility. Tasks Pro™ 1.5 is now compatible with PHP 4 (version 4.1 or later) and PHP 5.
- Many additional enhancements and refinements.
The demos and trials have been updated to the latest versions, so if you’ve been waiting to try out the new features your wait is over. Of course, there are lots of updated screenshots (Tasks Pro™, Tasks) as well.
My international customers should be very pleased with this release. For the first time, Tasks Pro™ and Tasks are available immediately in 7 languages:
and I hope to add more in the near future.
The language files for Tasks Pro™ and Tasks have been kept in sync so that a translation for one can very easily be ported to the other. I’ve also created a translation kit to make it easier for people to translate the language files. The translation kit compares your translated file with the English file and shows any missing strings. It also compares the current English file with the English file in the previous release (1.2.1) and identifies existing strings that were changed for the new release (very helpful for those who are upgrading an existing language file).
Besides the big new features mentioned here, these releases also sport a ton of new little features, tweaks and enhancements. I’ll be highlighting some of these in future posts.