I made a list of all the software I’m installing on my Quad (it was a checklist initially, but I thought it might be interesting to publish). Sorry, I’m not including links – too many to locate and paste in; use your favorite search engine. A lot of this stuff is also linked on my must-have software page (which probably needs updating) already:
- LaunchBar – if you haven’t tried this out – you owe it to yourself. Windows users, try AppRocket.
- Path Finder – the excellent file management tool I wrote about recently
- Camino – my default browser
- Firefox – my development browser
- BBEdit – my main text editor
- R-Name – bulk file rename utility
- .DS_Store Cleaner – utility to delete.DS_Store files
- LineBreak – utility to convert line breaks to/from Mac, Win, Unix
- Adium – multi-chat client, switched the theme to minimal_mod, which I quite like.
- iTerm – tabbed terminal windows
- Transmit – FTP client
- Gmail Status – monitoring my junk mail
- Menu Meters – what good is power if you can’t watch it work?
- MenuCalendarClock – I like having the date in the menubar
- MailTemplate – I’m starting to build a nice library of auto-replies
- NetNewsWire – mainly for use in troubleshooting issues w/ FeedLounge (is it a feed reader issue or a feed issue)
- Fink – package manager – I decided against DarwinPorts at this time
- Subversion client – using Fink I got this:
Setting up daemonic (20010902-2) …
Failed: This package must be compiled with GCC 4.0.0, but you currently have
GCC 4.0.1 selected. To correct this problem, run the command:
I don’t care enough to find the version to update, so I just used the binary
- Mousepose – Shows the mouse location; I’d uninstalled this a while back, but now I really need it
- MySQL 5 – database engine for local databases and development. I’ve got 4.0x running on the PowerBook. I was surprised by how easy the install is now.
- PHP 4 – web scripting engine.
- PHP 5 – web scripting engine.
- phpMyAdmin – GUI for MySQL administration
- PostgreSQL – database engine for development and testing
- Photoshop – photo editing, icon creation
- Illustrator – logo creation
- Microsoft Office X – I use Excel a bit
- skEdit – I really never use this.
- TextMate – ditto
- SubEthaEdit – I hardly use it, but when I do it’s nice.
- Synergy (the iTunes controller)
- Zippist – utility for creating compatible .zip archives
- Palm Desktop – it’s ridiculous that this requires a reboot.
- Mail settings – no need to re-enter all that account info.
- Bookmarks – must have.
- BBEdit Prefs
- Address Book data
- Transmit bookmarks
- Adium accounts and chat logs
- Automator workflows
- Digital photos
- /etc/hosts entries
- httpd.conf virtual servers
- MailTemplate data
- Documents folder
- Keychain – all my saved passwords.
- ssh keys
- Photos database
- Photoshop actions
Stuff I didn’t need to migrate because I’ve centralized it (I should work on making this list longer):
- E-mail – IMAP is my friend.
- Source code via Subversion.
- Billing information, thanks to Vebio.
- Feed reader – FeedLounge, yo!
Stuff I should probably install at some point:
- Open Office
- Gimp for OS X (photoshop clone version)
- Opera – for testing
The comments are open if you’ve got recommendations.