I have to do basic arithmetic on a fairly regular basis. My tool of choice for the last few years has been LeanCalc. It does the job well for the most part, but it doesn’t ignore non 0-9 characters, I would commonly use it to calculate a percentage of a dollar value. I’d paste in something like $25,000.00 and want to multiply that by .015. WIth LeanCalc, I’d have to go back and delete the $ and , before it would give me an answer.
Soulver is a newer and much more powerful tool for this. It works exceedingly well. However, it’s more than I need and it’s something I’d have to maintain and upgrade on each of my machines. That got me thinking about a web-based solution – something I can invoke from LaunchBar with just a keystroke or two.
Creating this has been in the back of my mind for quite a while; little projects like this make developers happy. Here is a short “feature” list:
- strips non-numeric garbage when evaluating (you can leave $ and , when pasting in your numbers)
- the ENTER key from expression side takes you to result side and selects the result for easy copying
- hit ENTER again (while in the result field) to get a new row
- CTRL+N at any time will give you a new row
- enter the result of one of the previous 10 rows (numbered) at the cursor position by using CTRL+(1-9)
- numbers reset on every new row so that referencing the previous row is always 1, the second back is always 2, etc. (borrowed from LeanCalc)
- if you get so many rows that they extend off the screen, the window automatically scrolls up like an old-school calculator tape
- delete the current row with CMD+DELETE
- the web page is a single HTTP request with gzipped response (CSS and JS are embedded)2
It works pretty much the way I want/need it to. I think it’s a short list of people that will find this to be a good solution for them; if you’re one of them – enjoy!