- Why Can’t Developers Estimate Time? – PatchSpace Blog – some great stuff here and in the comments. Enough reading material for days, if you’re so inclined.
- Dropbox Attempts To Kill Open Source Project | Razor Fast – Sensationalist headline aside, this is an interesting post – and relatively even-handed to be coming from one of the participants.
- Wrong Assumptions and Netflix – I love that Ethan is blogging more these days.
- Why Instapaper Free is taking an extended vacation – good stuff from Marco here. Check out the commentary from Michael, “I would much rather pay (say) $10 for an app that I’ve tried and know that I like, than buy a bunch of similar apps for $1-5 each and then throw away the ones that turn out not to be as good. Paying for what you use, rather that what you can be induced to buy-to-try, sends better signals to developers about what’s good and also would lead to more meaningful top-10 charts in the store for users.” Amen!
- Q. Why did it take Obama two and a half years to post his birth certificate? A. It didnt. – cdespinosa’s posterous – this could almost be funny if it weren’t so horribly offensive.
- Perl, MD5, and Unicode – “I have a much longer blog post brewing in my head about how they never tell you in Computer Science classes that 80-90% of your programming time in the real world it dealing with failures, exceptional cases, and general debugging.” It’s bits like this that has kept Jeremy’s blog in my feed list for years.
- The book is dead – “Theres a case to be made that the site should be delisted because its f*cking useless, but its existence in search results does not bolster Davids argument that Google is ‘encouraging’ piracy.”
- Php why to use abstract classes, Advanced – Your private Online Collection – Nice, simple overview of abstract classes in PHP.
- On the Birth Certificate Idiocracy – James Fallows – Politics – The Atlantic – watch the video.
Capsule, The Developer’s Code Journal
I’m very pleased today to announce the release of Capsule, the developer’s code journal. Capsule replaces the scratch document you have…