Wow. I have to admit I didn’t realize there was so much I’d have to do after I finished the actual coding of Tasks Pro™ before I could release.
Granted, I tend to be a little more thorough on things like this than some people are, but I feel that if you aren’t going to do something properly – why bother?
In the last 2 1/2 weeks I have:
- Built a web site; including designing and constructing the back end, writing all the content, taking the screenshots (twice, ugh), etc.
- Set up a demo install of the product, complete with sample demo data (thanks Mom), certain functionality (e-mail notifications, etc.) disabled and a script to restore the demo data every night.
- Set up a system to allow people to have a free 14 day trial.
- Set up an on-line store.
- Written gobs and gobs and gobs of documentation (and it’s still fairly shallow).
- Lots of other odds and ends.
I have a new appreciation for everything that goes into getting a product to market. It’s a big job.
Oh, and I will never add another feature without writing the associated documentation at the same time. At least that is what I’m telling myself. 😉
This post is part of the project: Tasks Pro™. View the project timeline for more context on this post.
very great jobs alex!! GoGoGo!! 🙂
Every coder I know always says, “I’m going to comment better in the next program, and then I’m going to document functions after they work.” I’ve rarely seen it happen. 😉
I feel your pain. I’m in Jersey, testing valves, and when I get back home, I still have a mound of paperwork to do.
yep being a one man shop is definitely globs of work.
Sounds like you’re did alot in a very short time. Good job!! We’re all anxiously awaiting the release.
I know the feeling. My commenting is much better than it was in the past, but my documentation is still lagging behind!
There’s just never enough time for everything…
alexking.org: Releasing Software is a Lot of Work
Alex King has been hard at work putting the finishing touches on Tasks Pro, the “commercial” for-profit version of his excellent Tasks application for the Web written in PHP. I’m really looking forward to using this software for managing the C…
“There’s just never enough time for everything…” Same goes for my world, too. 🙂
More New Features
I’ve been busy adding more new features to Tasks Pro™ in the past few weeks. I think these will be well received.
I think I’m going to release an alpha pretty soon so that people can start testing and benefitting from these new features,…