Moving from the big picture to the small picture, I gave the current auto-fill behavior of the browser a little more thought, and decided I consider aspects of the current implementation to be a bug.
I consider features that can easily cause you to lose data to be bad and wrong, and the current auto-fill behavior falls right into this definition. The current auto-fill behavior will put data into any field it recognizes. In doing this, it will replace existing data if there is any – often without the user even noticing. This is what caused the problem with Tasks Pro™, the browser overwrote the existing username of a user with the auto-fill information it had.
I checked and there is already an open bug for this issue, please take a moment to vote for it.
Thanks for looking for the bug … I voted for it as well. 🙂
http://www.photoworks.com‘s login page has this annoying problem too.
You mean the browser’s annoying problem affects the poor Photo Works folks. 🙂
Voted. Nice bug.
Encountered this bug using Firefox for Linux. Went to Bugzilla to vote and it claims that the bug has been fixed. I used Konqueror instead of Firefox to manage the user account and encountered no problems. So this seems to be a Firefox issue. My suggestion is that the error message in UseTasks should warn of this bug and advice users to either change the autofill, or use a different browser (at least to manage accounts).
Since this is fixed for Firefox 2, I probably won’t be adding any code to handle this browser-specific bug.