I decided to go with the iLap, and have been using it this afternoon. Here are my notes:
- Rain Design has definitely taken a page out of the Apple book regarding product packaging – the box is quite nice.
- FedEx Home Delivery (their cheapest option) for here from the Bay Area in 3+ days (ordered Monday).
- It really does cool the laptop. My PowerBook was running at 126+ degrees sitting on the iCurve, after being on the iLap for about 5 minutes it is down to 113+ degrees – not bad.
- The padded roll that your forarms rest pushes the laptop an extra 3 inches away from your body – no quite an uncomfortable distance but definitely quite a ways with the 17″ laptop.
- The level at which the laptop is set is comfortable for typing.
- The hinged “foot” on the back of the unit is looser than I expected. It will happily flap around on its own.
- After an hour or so of use, the PowerBook has risen to 115+ degrees, not bad at all.
- This thing is exactly the width of my PowerBook – I certainly wouldn’t mid it being an inch wider on each side.
- Down to 112+ degrees now…
Ironically, The Gadgeteer posted a favorable review of the iLap this week.
How do you know the temperature of your laptop?
oh wow, i LOVE my iLap! I have the 12″ and it has a known heat issue… before i got this (as a valentines present, bless the gf’s heart), i couldn’t use the PB on my lap for more than an hour or it would get so hot that OS X would literally be sent into a kernel panic and crash. self-protect mode i guess.
but yeah.. its perfect for just sitting around typing, and especially when youre laying in bed. sometimes i just wanna lay back, put my knees up, and relax.
oh and that said, you’ve gotta show me how to add the images next to your “comments” and “email this post” links 😉 please?
I’ve been pretty pleased with the iLap, however if you’re shorter than 6 feet tall, I doubt the 17″ model will fit on your lap. :)…
[…] There isn’t really much to report. The MacBook is great – I have no real complaints. The keyboard is a complete non-issue, as is the heat most of the time (especially with the iLap). The screen is excellent, the performance is great and both the size of the machine and the screen size have proven to be quite suitable for my usage1. […]
[…] I just placed an order for a laptop stand called the iLap. It has gotten stellar reviews everywhere I have looked, including one from Alex King. […]
I’ve used Tasks for quite sometime now, for work and home. I’ve been looking for a laptop stand for both desk and lap work- after reading Alex’s review- and much searching for anything else that’s remotely comparable, Alex has shown me the light, yet again! Thanks Alex!