A Tasks Pro™ customer tells me that he can’t log in to Tasks Pro™ in IE 7. I’ve also been told that FeedLounge doesn’t work properly in IE7. Furthermore, I’ve been told that IE 7 is still in a state of flux that I shouldn’t bother even trying to fix either of these at the moment. *sigh*
I guess I’ll need to acquire another Windows box for IE 7 testing pretty soon.
Why not just use virtual pc? a lot cheaper than another computer!
I’ve got Virtual PC, it’s not fast enough to be usable.
Do you have an existing Windows or Linux box (with x windows)? If so, you might want to just use VMWare’s free server product. Just run it and create a new virtual machine to install Windows onto. You might need to get more RAM if your existing box doesn’t have much, but it’d be cheaper than a whole new computer. That’s what I do for IE7 testing.
I do have a windows laptop, I may try that. I’d been planning to do this at some point then forgot all about it. Thanks for the reminder. 🙂
Yeah, worst-case I’d setup Virtual PC / VMWare on your Windows machine. Since you do most of your development on the Macs, you wouldn’t be bogging them down running another OS. Since the Windows machine would just be sitting there 90% of the time, and only be refreshing a webpage the other 10%, it’d seem the logical choice to get eaten alive by the virtual machine.
Also keep in mind that Microsoft recently released Virtual Server 2005 as a free product. I’m not sure about the system requirements (ie: will it run on XP), but it’d be worth a look.
In any case, I’d personally ignore IE7 for the time being. They themselves have said there’s still many changes to come in the future in regards to CSS and rendering. That’s just a recipe for disaster. For all you know, the things that are broken in it now are actually bugs they plan to eliminate, not “improvements” they’ve made. There are so few people using it during the beta, it just seems like a huge waste of time trying to design for it already.
Might be time for an Intel Mac Mini, Boot Camp, and Parallels Workstation!
You might want to take a look at this which gives some instructions on running IE7 without actually installing it. I haven’t tried it yet, but it looks promising.