Can’t wait for that iPhone 4 on Verizon? If you aren’t already a Verizon customer and don’t want to wait until Feb 10th, here’s what to do.
- Go sign up for a Verizon account today and purchase the cheapest phone they have, without a subsidy.
- Don’t use the cheap phone.
- Get online at 3AM US/Eastern (Midnight US/Pacific) on Feb 3rd, and order your iPhone 4 (with the 2-year contract subsidy).
- After receiving your iPhone 4, return the cheap phone you purchased for a full refund.
There you have it.
I’m going to wait for the iPhone 5. So far I’ve always skipped one generation of iPhone1 and even for me it seems a bit extreme buy a phone that will be replaced in less than 6 months.
- I had the original, skipped the 3G, had the 3GS and am currently skipping the 4G. [back]
I’ve heard some disappointing things about the iPhone 4 on Verizon, both from news sources and from AT&T employees (yes, I know, competition). All that to say, I still won’t be switching.
My family and my wife’s family are all on AT&T, so it doesn’t really make sense for us to switch – and we get 5 bars of service where we live, so it’s largely not an issue.
From a previous post:
Use the network that works best for you.
I’m not entirely sure there’s gonna BE an iPhone 5 in June/July. With their focus on customer satisfaction (and all the crap they took/take over upgrades every year) I can’t see them obsoleting the VZW 4 in 6 months.
My prediction (not that it matters)… white iPhone 4 on one or both carriers in June/July with possibly a size bump to 32/64 GB. Then the iPhone with 4G next June (or they sync up iPad/iPhone releases in Feb/March).
The release of the iPhone 4 on Verizon now and the release of the iPhone 5 on the normal summer schedule makes total sense to me. The iPhone 4 will slide into the “cheap” iPhone slot (like the 3GS is on AT&T now) and the iPhone 5 will take the $199 and $299 price points. That way you get the same price point coverage on both Verizon and AT&T. Plus you maximize sales of the iPhone 4 on Verizon with the initial stampede.