Stuck on how to reply to an email? Here’s the mental checklist I use:
- Re-read the email a second time, without an emotion reaction.
- What was the real purpose of the incoming email? (informative, question, request for action, express frustration/anger/etc.)
- What type of response is needed? (simple reply, take some action then reply, ask for phone call/clarification, etc.)
- What tone should the response have? (helpful, apologetic, friendly, frustrated, etc.)
- Outline key points to make
- Draft and send
What is your mental checklist?