Just got my MacBook back from repair1. I’d missed this little bugger.
I was happy to discover that the hard drive wasn’t wiped. I’d backed up my Mac partition, but hadn’t bothered with the Boot Camp partition. I’m glad not to have to re-create that.
In the last couple of weeks, I’ve spent a good amount time on 3 different Apple laptops:
- MacBook Pro 15″ (my dad brought his with him over the holidays)
- PowerBook G4 17″
A couple of comparison notes:
- The MacBook keyboard looks weird, but it’s the easiest to type on for me.
- The MacBook Pro gets way hotter than my MacBook. The MacBook gets hotter than the PowerBook.
- The big screen and pixels of the PowerBook are nice.
- The MacBook is much lighter than the PowerBook.
- The matte finish of the MacBook is more pleasing to rest your hands on and type on.
- The illuminated keyboard and ambient light sensor is missed when using the MacBook.
I’ll be curious to see what the next round of machine upgrades from Apple brings.
- It was in for repair because of random shutdown issues. Interestingly enough, I had no heat or shutdown issues with the MacBook originally, but I had to install a “fix heat issues” firmware update to install a security patch. After that, I started getting the random shutdown. Installing the “random shutdown’ firmware update only made it worse. [back]