A new beta of my Popularity Contest plugin for WordPress is available – this has some minor bug fixes and some new features and nicer handling of some edge cases. Since this version is the best known version, I have made it the default download at WordPress.org’s plugin hosting.
Changes since beta 1:
- Added tag reports. I’m pretty pleased at how these work – you type in the name of a tag you want a report on, it will auto-complete just like in the tags form on the New Post page, and then bring back the tag report when you hit Add.
- Added nice re-flowing code so that reports take up all available horizontal space when displaying.
- Added some additional refinements to the overall Popularity list at the top of the reports page.
- Added a Last (n) Days option to the widget (you can configure the # of days for the widget).
- Removed tags from category reports list.
- Fixed an issue with AJAX deletion of comments.
- Fixed a divide by 0 error that I’m not sure how could happen, but apparently did for someone. The code is more robust now anyway.
- Works around a broken data situation where there are no rows in the Popularity Contest options table. I have no idea how you’d trigger this situtation, and still can’t reproduce the issue – but now the code works around it. Thanks to Dave (who apparently has never heard of Hanlon’s Razor) for finding the cause of the issue.
Known Issue in beta 2:
When installing for the first time, the WordPress plugins page reports an error:
Plugin could not be activated because it triggered a fatal error.
with an empty “fatal error” message. It also successfully activates the plugin and creates the proper default settings – everything seems to work just as planned. I spent a few minutes playing with various things, but without any error message or anything in the error log, I haven’t found the cause of this yet. If any other devs have time to check this out, I’d certainly appreciate the help.
Aside from this and perhaps a few minor tweaks based on feedback, I think this is just about ready for the final 2.0 release.
The download and more information are available on my WordPress Plugins page.